Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Multicultural lunch outing

I, Page, have been blessed by having a 4th grader at Bethany (that would be Wade). I found out the end of last year that the mothers of this grade periodically have lunch together! I told one mother I had met in the spring to please include me for the next gathering. Well, last Friday was the first get-together for this school year. The group decided to let Dennis' mom take us to a Russian resturant since they are from Russia (his dad is a scientist at the university here). It was a wonderful lunch! She had made a Russian salad for us all as an appetizer, and then we had some soup and one of four choices of entrees. I chose the meatballs which were delicious! I learned that most Russian dishes use beets in some form, and they often use sour cream. While we were having lunch, we realized the moms present represented six different countries: Taiwan (of course), Korea, Australia, Russia, India, and America (that was me!). Most of the moms spoke Chinese as well as English, plus the language of their own country. I could tell the mom from Korea knew about as much Chinese as I do - not much! I didn't talk a lot, but really enjoyed listening to the ladies talk and joke with each other. Right now I'm just "Wade's mom", but I look forward to building deeper relationships with them. Ladies all over the world are alike - we love to get together and laugh, talk about our kids, and just enjoy each other! We decided we will have lunch once a quarter together, and the next time we will go to an Indian resturant and let the two Indian moms show us the ropes! Next time I will bring my camera!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Page, I am so happy that you got to share some "girl" time with the ladies. How interesting it must have been to hear all of the different conversations, not to mention, they were not even in the same language. I would love to see pictures of your next outing. I am so thankful that you are meeting new people. Maybe you can find a place like Carter Brothers to take the ladies to when it is your turn! :) I doubt they have anything like that. What would the ladies say about those grits??? Take care and know I think of you and pray for you daily!

God Bless!
Love to you all,
Angela Norris

Anonymous said...

page - i love that you had the opportunity to begin to bond with these women. i know that is something that is precious to you. i pray for more of that for you in taiwan. how interesting it must have been to be with women from so many different cultures. it sounds like you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Page,
What an expereince! I am proud of you for stepping out. I can't imagine doing that myself. How interesting it must have been and how wonderful that God is providing such an awesome opportunity for you to build relationships and share His love. You go girl!
Love and prayers,
Sherrie White