Friday, July 28, 2006

Shake, rattle and roll

Taiwan typically has many small earthquakes throughout the year. In fact, we have had several since we have been here but have never felt any tremors. Today, however, as the boys were playing in what is known as "Tom Dragon" -- a huge indoor playground -- and as I (Keith) was once again studying my Chinese, I actually felt my first eartquake! As the ground underneath me began to sway I realized what was happening and instinctively looked to the locals to see what I should do. I learned by observation that what you do is grab your table or chair (or whatever you are close to) and wait for it to end. The one I experienced today lasted for about 10 to 15 seconds, and then everything was back to normal. By the way, Page and Milly were back-to-school shopping on the third floor of Carrefour (similar to Wal-Mart) and did not feel anything. The boys were busy playing hard and did not feel anything either. By reading about it on the internet when we were back at the apartment, I learned the actual earthquake hit around 90 miles off the east coast of Taiwan causing much of Taipei to experience the tremor affects. Thankfully, it looks like there was no damage to speak of.

2 comments:

Whitfield Family said...

Wow, a typhoon then an earthquake. You guys have all the fun.

Anonymous said...

Kaykee says:
Typhoons, earthquakes, beetles, WOW! It doesn't get much better than that!!
Pa and I love your blog.